The full name is bacterial dental plaque and it’s referred to as plaque.
Plaque is a thin transparent layer of saliva, oral debris and normal mouth bacteria which sticks to the tooth surface, and can only be removed by cleaning.
After a person eats food with carbohydrates, the carbohydrates combine with the mouth’s natural bacteria to create an acid. The acid then combines with old food particles and saliva in another chemical reaction that causes the microbial substance to become sticky and hard.
Plaque is responsible for the two most common oral disease, tooth decay and gum disease
Plaque is colourless and difficult to see. Heavy plaque deposits can be easier to see and may look like a thick white deposit or food stuck to the teeth. If you’re not sure if you see plaque on your teeth, you can use a disclosing tablet. The disclosing tablets will temporarily stain the plaque so you can see it more easily. Since plaque is constantly growing in your mouth, the best way to remove it and to prevent tartar build-up is to brush and floss your teeth every day. You can then brush and floss until the stain is gone.
Visit your dentist at least once a year for professional cleaning and oral check ups.