The hygienist’s main work is to prevent and treat gum disease. This includes professionally cleaning your teeth by removing plaque and tartar using an ultrasonic scaler associated with the hand scaled. Hygienists also give advice about diet and about preventing tooth decay. The hygienist will work with the dental team to give you care that is needed for a healthy gums.
Most of people don’t understand the importance of having a dental check-up and cleaning every six months to ensure good oral health.
A few reasons to have your dental hygiene done at least twice a year:
- Preventing gum disease: when is treated at the onset gum disease is reversible.
- Preventing bad breath: good oral hygiene s important to keep breath fresh.
- Brightening your smile: tea, coffee, tobacco can stain your teeth; all will be removed after a nice clean with airflow.
- Keeping your teeth healthier: a hygienist will remove plaque and tartar which can lead the development of decay, any problem will be detected earlier and your dentist will fix it to you.
- Your dental hygienist can inspect the condition of your soft tissue (gums, palate, cheeks and tongue) to rule out early signs of oral cancer.
Regular professional cleaning to remove plaque and tartar, combined with looking after your teeth and gums properly at home, will help keep your mouth healthy with a fresh breath. If you are wearing braces, the importance of a hygiene appointment is more than needed to keep teeth and gums healthy.